Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A Note to All workers- Attitude is Everything!

A Note to Teen Workers

A Note to Teen Workers

By Dawn Rosenberg McKay, About.com January 28, 2011


Dear Supermarket Cashier (or Movie Theater Usher, Fast Food Worker, etc.), I know you don't want to be here. You'd rather be hanging out with your friends, IMing, playing video games or even doing homework. It's not like I was dying to go shopping today. I would much rather have gone straight home, but I had to pick up something to make for dinner. I did however say hello when I approached your register. You could have responded with more than a grunt. It wasn't my fault you were there -- well, I guess maybe it was. If I (and other residents of my neighborhood) didn't shop in the store that employs you it would cease to exist and so would your after school/weekend job. I don't expect you to strike up a conversation (although the much older cashier three registers down was chatting up her customers), but I do expect you to be cordial. By the way, chatting briefly with your customers as they pass through your lane would make your afternoon go much more quickly. I expect you to say hello and I expect you to say thank you when our transaction is complete. I'm sorry your boss didn't teach you that. He or she should have, but regardless, it's a lesson you should learn now. This is the first of several jobs you will have throughout your hopefully prosperous career and a pleasant attitude will go a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment